Health Basics CHOICES is a dynamic 8 week interactive group workshop.
- Dedication to achieving a healthy body weight
- Taking responsibility for your own lifestyle choices
- Commitment to good health
- Regular physical activity
- Healthy eating choices
- Mindful eating
- Life balance- time for yourself & activities you enjoy
Workshops are led by Health Basics Coaches. Coaches are experienced health professionals with backgrounds in kinesiology, nursing and nutrition.
How to Join
- Discuss your weight loss goals with your family doctor, together you can decide if Health Basics CHOICES is right for you
- If you are committed and motivated to make the lifestyle changes then ask your doctor to send a referral to the Red Deer Primary Care Network
Information Session (one hour)
- Once your doctor has referred you to the Health Basics CHOICES program:
- You will receive a phone call from the Primary Care Network staff to book an information session
- The session is 1 hr and takes place one Monday a month and offers various times to fit your schedule
- At the information session
- You will watch a short video and receive more information regarding the 8 week workshops
- Able to ask the Health Basics Coaches questions
- You will also receive a pedometer to count your steps and a calendar to record your steps into, in preparation for your workshop
- Now you are committed and motivated, you will have the ability to sign up for the 8 week interactive workshops
8 week Workshops
- Workshops are offered Tuesday to Friday with various times to make it easy for you to fit it into your lifestyle.
- Each interactive 8 week workshop is two hours long
- You will be in a small group of 6 to 12 people
- You will be active in the workshops so dress for activity
- You will learn
- Simple lifestyle choices to support a healthy weight
- The basics of healthy eating
- The basics of an active lifestyle
- There is no cost for the workshops
Monthly Health Basics CHOICES Follow Up Classes
- Discuss progress and barriers to healthy living and connect with other Health Basics CHOICES graduates
- We know that support and continuous learning help to keep us focused on our goals.
2011 Follow up classes:
- January 10, February 7, March 14, April 11, May 9, June 13, Sept 12, October 17, Nov 14, Dec 12.
- Times are: 9:00 to 10:00 am, 11:00am to 12:00pm, 2:00 to 3:00pm and 5:00 to 6:00 pm
All Information Sessions, 8 Week Health Basics CHOICES Workshops and Health Basics CHOICES Follow-up Workshops are held at the Red Deer Primary Care Network Office: 5130 47 St, Red Deer, AB. Phone: 403.343.9100.
Health Basics CHOICES Frequently Asked Questions
What is the format of the Health Basics CHOICES workshop?
The workshop is run in small groups. Some patients have expressed discomfort working in groups. However, participants find the atmosphere friendly and working with others with the same issues can be very helpful.
How can I do the exercise when I am not fit?
Exercise is a component of every workshop. Although the activities are in a group setting, the coaches know there are various levels of ability and provide modifications to accommodate individuals. Wear comfortable clothes to class. Be prepared for walking outdoors.
What if I cannot attend the workshop I signed up for?
Please do all that you can to attend the workshop in which you have registered. There is a waiting list for workshops so please call the Primary Care Network at 403-343-9100 if you are not able to attend the workshop. There may be another workshop that fits your schedule better. Communicating to the Primary Care Network staff when you are unable to attend can also help someone on the waiting list to participate.
What if I miss one week of my scheduled workshop?
It is your responsibility to catch up on the information, challenges, and activities that you missed. We recommend talking to your peers in the workshop and reading the information in the Health Basics CHOICES journal for that week.